This role would suit an enthusiastic, diligent and thorough individual who has been working within an accounting practice who wants to develop their managerial skills and want to progress to the next stage.
Primarily, the candidate would carry out tasks such as bookkeeping, VAT, payroll and management accounts within their own portfolio as well as overseeing the team. Direct supervision would therefore be involved as well as a reviewing process.
Must have begun their ACCA/ ACA journey and have property experience (understanding the property VAT and CIS)
Key responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to:-
- Maintain a portfolio of clients; some of which the candidate will be solely responsible for and others that will be overseen by another member of the team and will be reviewed by the candidate.
- Able to keep client records up to date on a timely basis. This would include bank reconciliations (current accounts as well as any credit card statements, petty cash, etc…), input of sales and purchase invoices and monthly journals.
- Be able to analyse debtor and creditor reports. Request missing information from clients and advise them of any overpayments they have made, etc…
- Be able to process invoices and make payments on the client’s behalf. Ensuring that invoices haven’t been provided previously to reduce risk of overpayments. Limit the risk of paying the wrong beneficiary by checking any bank templates against invoices received.
- Agree timelines with clients in respect of when to receive information to completed bookkeeping and VAT returns. To be able to meet expected deadline for deliverables and able to deliver the VAT return in advance of the deadline.
- Similarly, produce management accounts to a very high standard. Ensure all control accounts in the balance sheet reconcile and be able to explain any abnormalities. In addition, be able to explain to clients any P&L items. Maintain schedules of prepayments, accruals, other debtors, etc… and ensure these match back to the main balance sheet and profit and loss.
- Produce VAT returns to a high standard. Checking transactions allocated to the relevant box numbers. In some cases, reporting to a manager or Partner for a final review.
- Reviewing bookkeeping, VAT returns, management accounts and quarterly working papers from various team members and communicate constructive feedback on how they done and how they can improve next time.
Submission of P11Ds. Create workings for Partners to authorise and use our software to produce the reports. Informing clients of the liability to be paid ahead of the deadline.
- Where not preparing directly, there will be a requirement to check team’s P11D workings before going to a Partners and before client review and onward submission to HMRC.
- Keep up to date with changing VAT and accounting knowledge. Liaise with the support team to book courses/webinars/etc…
- Liaise with other departments in the firm concerning accounts preparation, corporation tax and personal tax, frequent conversations with the departments involved are necessary.
- Have strong interpersonal and team working skills.
- Be able to communicate effectively with all parties; the team, managers, partners and clients.
- We would expect the candidate to develop their managerial skills which will be inclusive of in-house training. They will be building strong relationships with colleagues and clients and achieve a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
- Assist the managers with overseeing the team and aid with training when necessary.
- As mentioned above you will be required to become familiar with the following during the course of your work: Sage, Xero, CCH Central, Payroll Professional and any similar software a client may use to maintain their accounting records. Voyager reporting, APB, Tramps reporting
- Review the compliance of the business with all relevant internal requirements, industry regulations and government legislation.
- Although not engaged to identify potential instances of fraud, if you come across any information which appears to be indicate fraudulent activity, to notify the firm’s MLRO.
The successful candidate would join a fast growing team of a long established firm of accountants. We would be looking for someone to be very competent shortly after joining.